The rapid rise of TikTok as a social media platform and how to utilize its growing popularity for your business
A heavyweight contender has entered the social media game, and it is set to be one of the biggest players yet. TikTok is a video-sharing app that allows users to create and share short videos on any subject. These videos typically include trending challenges, dance videos, and comedy videos, providing a very broad scope for video creation. It has now amassed over 700 million users and 2 billion downloads making it the fastest growing app in the world. But how did it rise to popularity so quickly?
TikTok uses a brand-new type of algorithm unlike anything used on other social platforms. It creates a constant flow of videos on your “for you” page based on different factors such as location, language preferences, what type of device you are using, what type of hashtags you are clicking on, other videos you have interacted with, etc. Each of these factors are individually weighted by TikTok’s algorithm system, creating a completely unique flow of videos specifically targeted towards that user’s preferences. No two users will have the exact same “for you” page, which can keep users engaged for hours at a time.
The app started out with a majority younger audience, but quickly turned into a platform for users of all ages. 25% of users are ages 19 and under, 44% of users are ages 20-39, and 31% of users are 40 and older. With current demographic growth trends, TikTok has fantastic potential to be a valuable marketing channel for all kinds of businesses. Here are some tips on how to utilize TikTok’s growing popularity to promote your business:
- Do your research on current trends, similar accounts, and how the app works. TikTok is a very fun, engaging app. Think to yourself, what aspects of my business can I relate to this app? How can I integrate my business into this type of content?
- Create fun, original content. Now that you know how the app works, take advantage of trending challenges and sounds to generate engaging content. Try starting a hashtag challenge to drive user interaction and engagement.
- Target created the infamous “Target Challenge” that went viral and accumulated over 439 million views. For the challenge, each person in a pair buys a bunch of items for the other based on certain parameters. They do a surprise swap and see who knows each other better.
- Consider influencer marketing. Nowadays, most people are opposed to anything that may look like a traditional ad. When you use influencer marketing instead, it tends to resonate better with consumers, therefore creating a more personal connection. You can recruit influencers who match your brand to complete the challenges, show off your product, and reach your intended target market in a new way.
- The chip brand Taki partnered with influencer Charli D’amelio to promote their Fuego Takis. The video has 37.8 million views and 5.2 million likes.
TikTok is a rapidly growing social media platform with high engagement rates. It has become very influential in the current social media climate and is expected to triple in size over the next few years. If your business is looking for a new way to expand your social presence, TikTok may be able to provide you with opportunities to expand your brand awareness in a unique way that no other social platform can. Ask us how!